Call DVLA Helpline Number 0844 241 5511 to Know All About SORN


Owning a car that’s just lying in a garage without being used is a big financial loss. However, you can reduce some loss by saving on the vehicle tax and insurance. This can be done by declaring the vehicle SORN.

SORN, Statutory Off Road Notification, is the term that describes the situation in which a vehicle is kept off the road and is not being currently driven. The situation cannot be assumed to have been accepted by the government as one needs to complete the forms and share with the government body to get the same approved by the DVLA. For any details, speak to the customer care representatives available at DVLA contact number at 0844 241 5511.

Registering the Vehicle as SORN

To register one’s vehicle as SORN, an individual needs to share either the 16-digit number on the vehicle tax reminder letter (V11) or the 11-digit number mentioned on the vehicle log book (V5C). One can apply for the same by filling the form online, calling the DVLA contact number or sending the completed form via post to the DVLA office.

An individual must apply for it via post if he has been recently registered as the vehicle’s keeper and has received the vehicle log book (V5C) in the current month or he has not yet been registered as the vehicle’s keeper. For assistance, call DVLA helpline at 0844 241 5511.

When to Apply for SORN?

An individual is required to get the SORN ready for his vehicle if it’s off the road in a private land, garage or on a drive. Mentioned below are a few mandatory situations in which one must make a SORN:

• The vehicle isn’t taxed.
• The vehicle isn’t insured even if it is for a short time.
• Interested in breaking down a vehiclein parts before scrapping it.
• Want to keep the newly bought vehicle off the road.
• Travelling abroad and leaving the car in the UK. In such situations, one can make a SORN up to two calendar months in advance. Make sure to include a letter explaining the situation.
In case you do not have a SORN, make sure that the vehicle is insured and taxed. If one misses out to do so, he will be automatically fined £80 for not having a SORN. There’s also a fine for having an uninsured vehicle. For more details, contact DVLA telephone number at 0844 241 5511.

DVLA SORN Fine and Appeal

If you have been fined for not taxing or insuring your vehicle or not updating the DVLA that you no longer have the vehicle, then you can appeal for this amount. This can be done if you have proofs that show that you have taxed your vehicle, had insurance for your vehicle and had already told DVLA that you no longer keep the vehicle. Make sure that the proof presented should be dated before the date of offence. For queries, call 0844 241 5511 where the DVLA customer care representative will available for help.

An appeal cannot be filed if an individual changes his address but didn’t tell DVLA, lost his paperwork or did never receive a reminder from DVLA, was not available when he had to tax, insure or register the vehicle as off the road (SORN) or missed a Direct Debit payment because of a problem with the bank.

If an individual misses to pay the fine, his vehicle could be clamped or crushed, the details could be passed to a debt collection agency or the case can also be taken to the court.

In case of any further queries or assistance regarding tax, insurance or making the vehicle SORN, please feel free to contact the DVLA contact number 0844 241 5511.


'NumberBank' is a Directory and Connection service which connects your call straight through to the customer service department of the company you want to speak to. We are not associated with or connected to DVLA in any way, and other contact numbers are available in the public domain which may prove a cheaper way to contact DVLA. Calls to this number will cost 7p per minute plus your access charge. By using this number to contact DVLA you agree to be bound by our Terms & Conditions.

DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency)


Contact DVLA for Driving Licence Queries

DVLA Driving Licence Categories thumb

Call DVLA for Driving Test Queries

DVLA Driving Test thumb



DVLA New VED Tax Rules Simplified

 DVLA New VED Tax Rules thumb



STR1: report your medical condition

Report certain types of medical conditions to DVLA if you're a car driver or motorcyclist.

News story: Don’t buy a vehicle without a V5C (logbook)

DVLA advises motorists not to buy a vehicle if it doesn't have a V5C (logbook).

Guidance: Release of information from DVLA’s registers

DVLA provides information to the police, local authorities and third parties who offer a host of practical motoring benefits.

Press release: No more paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence will save the taxpayer millions each year

From today (8 June 2015), the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence is being replaced by an online service.

  Copyright 2015 NumberBank

Terms & Conditions | Email Us

number bank logo